Who should you notify upon moving house?

envelopeCareful planning can really help to take some of the stress out of moving home but with so much to remember it can be easy to lose track of some of the less obvious tasks related to moving, like cancelling newspaper subscriptions and getting your post redirected to your new address. Let’s take a look at who you should be sure to notify when moving home.


You should let your bank know of your change of address so that any important mail can be redirected. It might also be worth switching branches if there is one closer to your new address.

Assuming that you are not moving so far that you cannot continue with your new job, you must tell your employer of your new address so that they can update their records. It’s also very important that the Inland Revenue are kept up to date with any changes in your circumstances and as such you must inform them of your new address. You can do this by email.

Moving address can significantly alter the amount of council tax that you pay. The bands differ according to the value you of your property and you can be fined for missing payments if you don’t inform the local council of your move.

When it comes to the contents of your wallet, you should take a look and see if any credit cards or store cards will require you to inform them of your move.


Let your doctors, dentists and opticians know that you are moving, as your new property may be outside of their catchment area which may mean you have to find a new practice which is nearer to your new address. You can search for a local GP service from the NHS choices website


When it comes to house insurance you may find that your existing policy can be switched over to your new address. However, you may have to pay a fee to do so.


In the time leading up to your move you should make sure that you give your utility providers due notice of your relocation as this will stop you from being billed for someone else’s usage. Energy suppliers should be given at least 48 hours notice in order for your meters to be read before you leave. Remember to contact your landline telephone provider too. You may be able to take your landline number with you when you switch address but only if you are moving within the same area code.

If you own a car then you will need to update the address on your driving licence, car owner certificate and also change your car insurance. You can update your details on the Direct Gov website or at the post office.

Once you’ve moved in, you will probably want to relax with a cup of tea and turn on the TV – so make sure you have informed your TV company and broadband provider of your move. Dependent on access, you may be able to continue with their services or otherwise be refunded.


If you have children then you must let their school or education provider know that you are moving and potentially look for a new school if the distance is too far to travel or if the child will no longer be inside the catchment area of the school.

Be sure to cancel any existing subscriptions to things like magazines, newspapers and milk delivery and to visit the post office to have your mail forwarded to your new address.

Please click here to find out more about what to expect from moving home.

Agree? Disagree? Do let Cooks Solicitors know what you think by commenting below.

No comments :

Post a Comment